Tuesday, 15 June 2010

Day 2 @ the Getty

Today was my second day at the Getty. The first half of the day, we spent in the ITS (Information Technology Services) Room doing various forms of training. This training included getting familiar with the Getty's software, phone system, Risk Management, Emergency Preparedness/Evacuation plans and Worker's Compensation. That dragged on...

After lunch, we got a tour of the Getty Research Institute's Library & Special collections. The best part of the tour was when we went into the GRI's Conservatory. We learned how some of the items that come through the Getty are conserved, repaired and restored. It was really cool! After that, we then went on a tour of the Leonardo da Vinci exhibition. This exhibition contained lots of his drawings and sculptural work. It was interesting, but I feel like I have to go through it a second time to better understand it.

The tour was pretty short and we were done by 4. I hung around and spent some time people watching near the fountains. Ryan didn't get off until 6 anyway, so I had to kill some time. I walked around and took some pictures of the Getty. It was nice being able to walk around and take it all in. I decided to ride the tram down instead of the employee shuttle. I got to see the amazing view of L.A. again. It was so clear out! Then I saw the 405 traffic, which I then dreaded. When I got to my car and exited the parking garage, I saw the Getty Center sign and decided to take my camera out and take a picture.

But then something horrible happened...the screen on my camera was all messed up!!! A majority of it was white with a weird black football shape in the top right corner. My camera was on its last legs, but I didn't know it would die right after I had used it minutes ago! I wanted to take a photo of the Getty everyday before I left, but I guess I wont be able to.

I'm still getting used to the L.A. traffic and waking up extra early. I'm just so scared of being late. I don't want to make a bad impression. So far, I'm in love with everything at the Getty. The food is yummy and the discount and perks we get with our badges aren't too shabby! Now, I have to rest to get up for tomorrow's meeting. Off I go!

No comments: